Saturday 10 & Sunday 11 December 2016
Sinterklaas just left the country and we are looking forward to the next celebrations of this month. In the last couple of years, Christmas has become quite big in the Netherlands. And the success of Christmas markets in neighbouring countries, has stirred up the interest of organisers here. This weekend there are several Christmas markets in the greater Amsterdam area.
- Castle Christmas Heemskerk (NL) – A centuries old Castle is the beautiful setting for this Christmas market.
- Christmas Market Haarlem – One of the biggest Christmas markets of the Netherlands is in beautiful, historic Haarlem, also known as ‘Little Amsterdam’.
- Mid Winter Festival Graft-De Rijp (NL) – Not just a Christmas market, but a whole festival, full of music and performances in this picturesque little village.
- Winterland Hoofddorp (NL) – Not really a Christmas market, but a large ice skating rink, decorated in Christmassy atmosphere.
- A Funky X-mas at the Sunday Market (NL) – Sunday Market is a great market for organic food and sustainable presents. For this edition they pulled out some funky Christmas atmosphere.
International Queer and Migrant Film Festival
Wednesday 7 to Sunday 11 December 2016
Five days full of films, workshops, presentations, debates and exhibitions. The International Queer and Migrant Film Festival (IQMF) focusses on the the marginalisation of migrants in Europe in general and for queer & migrants in particular. A minority within a minority. That must be hard…but is it? Maybe we’ll find the answer in these films.
Spiritwalking by NDT 1 in Westergasfabriek
Thursday 8 to Sunday 11 December 2016
This promises to be a magical evening. NDT 1 is a very well respected Dutch dance group. These evenings they are only dancing choreographs of resident choreographers Sol León and Paul Lightfoot. Philip Glass has composed a new piece, especially for this show, that is held in the gas holder on Westergasfrabriek. All these ingredients will definitely create a spectaculair night out.
Amsterdam Light Festival
Thursday 1 December 2016 to Sunday 22 January 2017
In only a few years time, Amsterdam Light Festival turned into a very popular, cultural festival of light. For almost two months you will come across various light objects and art installations throughout Amsterdam. You can either let faith be your guide, or you can do the walking or cycling tour, or hop on one of the cruises. These various tours will guide you along many of the light art. Along the road there are plenty of opportunities to warm up with soup, hot chocolate milk, or something stronger, if you like.
- The State Coach in the Netherlands in Museum Van Loon – 14 October 2016 to 16 January 2017
- Amsterdam Light Festival – 1 December 2016 to 22 January 2017
- OUR GRID – Growing between the lines – 21 November 2016 to ???
- Energetica – 22 April 2016 – 1 January 2017
- 2016: Year of the Amsterdam School – The whole year
- Food in War Time in the Dutch Resistance Museum – 15 October 2016 – 28 May 2017